It’s a funny thing when I name these blog posts – I’ve already written Alien Flu – 6 Months in Development, Alien Flu – 8 Months in Development and now this is at 12 Months in Development. 12 Months sounds like a long time, but 12 months of full-time development, is very different from 12 months of trying-to-find-a-spare-moment-to-work-on-my-games, as any part-time indie game developer with even a moderate amount of commitments could undoubtedly tell you. I kind of wish I’d started tracking my time spent on developing Alien Flu from the start of the project, because I honestly believe that that ’12 months’ figure would condense to a much more realistic ballpark of maybe 4-5ish weeks of full-time development. When put in to that context, I think development of Alien Flu has gone pretty damned well.
Things we think about
Ideally I would like to have Alien Flu released on to the iOS app store in time for this Christmas. A lot of the game is feature complete now, with the biggest asset left to create being the graphics for the not-so-secret retro-themed level that I have alluded to previously.
I’ve taken the decision that in order to get the game released on time, and to avoid rushing and sacrificing quality, I will be removing the unlockable retro-themed level from the initial release of Alien Flu.
While working on Alien Flu I have a long Trello to do list open at all times, and something that has been on that list for months now is the task of sorting out the z-orders (or depth) of the player and floor tiles.
Due to the fact that the floor is drawn at an angle as if looking down at it, Brady needs to be drawn above the top portion of the tile so that he appears to stand on it, but also below the bottom portion of the tile so that he disappears underneath it when jumping from below.
I’ve made a lot more progress on Alien Flu in the past week, although it’s been in areas that aren’t particularly exciting to talk about. I’ve mostly dealt with boring things like polishing the transitions between menu screens, redesigning the end of level pop-up to make its buttons function similarly to the rest of the interface, and some other even less interesting features.
I have finally redesigned the alert level indicator that’s been bugging me for a while (the three bars at the top of the screen), and the new design matches the rest of the GUI more closely. I figured this is a good time to share the current state of the game via an actual screenshot taken from an iPad, rather than my usual interpretations that have been taken from a Windows build:
It’s been two months since I last shared any screenshots from Alien Flu, so I think it’s about time that I shared the latest updates. At the time I posted my Alien Flu – 6 Months in Development post I had already landed upon a fairly solid design style for the menu screens, however I’ve since made some further changes that I think make the whole game feel more cohesive.
This is just a quick update to say that Alien Flu has been mentioned by develop-online.net in a list of 156 games being made in the UK right now. It’s only a brief mention, but it marks the first time that Boomshack Ltd has been mentioned in the mainstream gaming press. It’s a pretty exciting milestone, and hopefully it’s a sign of things to come!
I’m excited today to be able to share some screenshots from the latest build of Alien Flu. Loads has changed since the prototype and I’m really pleased with how the game is starting to take shape.
I’m pleased to be able to share some more info on the ‘new’ first game by Boomshack Games, Alien Flu.